The Steam Packet was a public house at the roundabout by Topsham quay, which finally closed as a general public house when its last landlord, Barry Stock, retired on November 8th 2008.
This was a pretty historic event; though the Bridge Inn is considerably older as a building, the Steam Packet is the second oldest pub in Topsham, and the oldest one purpose-built. It began its days as the Red Lion, and was renamed in 1850 after the steam packet Zephyr that called at Topsham as part of its weekly run between Torquay and London. Its owner in the late 1890s was Charles Gale (who also ran the London and South Western, now Drakes) whose wife, Tryphena Sparks, was a cousin of Thomas Hardy.
Basics thanks to Exeter Memories: see The Steam Packet - Topsham Quay for further historical background. (Image: scanned from Trewman's Exeter Flying Post, June 4th 1846).
Gallery, November 2008 (click images to enlarge)
The Steam Packet was bought by the owners of the Globe Hotel. Renamed Route 2 after the local branch of the national cycle network, it reopened in June 2009 as a licensed cafe bar offering cycle hire, open 8am-8pm, with holiday apartments above.